US airline and airport executives met with President Trump this past week to discuss US air traffic system reform, amongst other topics. Here are seven important factors of their meeting and the possibility of the FAA being reserved to a safety regulator and certification authority apart, with new management for its Air Traffic Organization division:
- The FAA structure could change under the new administration.
- Privatization is already a part of the US ATC system.
- The transition would likely take several years.
- User fees would mean a major shift in US air traffic operations.
- The US aviation community is divided on the issue.
- The FAA has made progress in upgrading the air traffic system.
- Reform could impact the NextGen aircraft equipage process and requirements.